The Arizona Society was established on June 13, 1896 in the territory of Arizona. Sixteen years before Arizona became the 48th state of the Union, joining our Constitutional Republic, the United States of America. Visit our History page to learn more about the Arizona Society, SAR.
The National Society, Sons of the American Revolution was founded in 1889 and is headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky. VisitSAR.ORG to learn more about the National Society.
A number of state societies were formed in the 1890's. The many purposes of the Sons of the American Revolution are patriotic, historical and educational. They include:
Perpetuating the memory of Revolutionary War Patriots
Promoting fellowship among their descendants
Inspiring the community with a reverence for the principles of government founded by our forefathers
Encouraging historical research of the American Revolution (Learn More On Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL)
Preserving the records of Revolutionary War patriots
Marking the locations of the Revolution events and its soldiers
Celebrating anniversaries of the Revolution
Fostering true patriotism
Maintaining and extending institutions of American freedom
Carrying out the purpose of the Preamble of the Constitution
Following the injunctions of Washington's farewell address to the American people
There are 50 state societies including the District of Columbia. Additionally, there are societies in France, the United Kingdom, Canada, Germany and Switzerland. The current membership is approximately 25,000 active members.
Residing in the Arizona Territory, before June 13, 1896, were members of Sons of Revolutionary Sires and of other state Societies of the National Society Sons of the American Revolution. These Territorial men found they shared many common interests including a strong love for their country and of their American Revolutionary ancestor heritage.
There were at least three charters of the Arizona Society Sons of the American Revolution (AZSSAR). The first charter was signed on June 13, 1896 by President General Horace Porter of New York and Secretary General Franklin Murphy of New Jersey. A second charter was signed on May 23, 1934 by President General Arthur M. McGrillis of Rhode Island and Secretary General Frank B. Steele of New York. A third charter was a "Memorial Charter", signed May 15, 1950, by President General Wallace C. Hall of Michigan and Secretary General Edgar Williamson, Jr. of New Jersey.